Hugh Mortensen, PWS
President and Senior Ecologist
Hugh is The Watershed Company’s president and a wetland specialist with over two decades of experience in critical areas and mitigation planning. Hugh’s scientific expertise and collaborative approach to working with design and permitting team members has helped public agencies and municipalities across Washington understand and protect their natural resources and gain regulatory approval for improvements. Hugh leads Watershed’s natural resources department and coordinates wetland and stream delineation, classification, functional assessment, permitting, and mitigation design.
Outside of Watershed
An amateur boat builder, Hugh enjoys floating around the San Juans with his family. The hull is complete on his current boat project, a 24-foot cruiser.
- BS and BA, Emphases in Ecology, Evergreen State College, 1994
- Professional Wetland Scientist (PWS), Society of Wetland Scientists
- Wetland Banking and Mitigation in Washington, Law Seminars International, 2009
- Wetland and Upland Habitat Restoration Design, UW College of Engineering, 2006
- Washington State Wetland Rating System training, Washington Department of Ecology, 2005
- King County DDES Preferred Wetland Consultant
- U. S. Army Corps of Engineers Wetland Delineation Certification Training Program, 1996